Monday 11 January 2010

TIMING; Belt or Otherwise

A belt snapped and off went my Clio to the scrap-yard, to be ripped apart. What health bounds before me on these legs? Shall I walk everywhere or wait for buses? I could stride towards the train; a half-way trip of exercise and relaxation – more reading!

The life of a passenger might not be quite so bad. There, I’ve talked myself into it, a quiet happiness and more money…but then I’d be able to pay my debts so actually less money to me, but a more settled life and future.

Yes, this is a whole new way of life. When I was in Glasgow I lived beside the subway and could walk to work – though I always took the subway for that one stop. But this is almost the Highlands! It takes over an hour to get to Glasgow  on the bus; it would take me days to get to work! Well, that’s an exaggeration. A long time, but I could spend all that time reading. I like that. I haven’t had a lot of time for reading recently on account of fannying about on the net.

So, everything in front of me is rosy. That romantic far off future where everything is perfect and dreams come true. The truth of it is the reality of public transport and our notoriously changeable weather. I can work from home, for the moment, but as soon as my boss can change my shifts to all days I’ll be out in the cold, waiting for a bus – with my book.

Meanwhile, I’ll be saving up all the money I’m not paying to get to work, to buy a new old banger!

3 comments:

  1. For just a belt? It couldn't be replaced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! A timing belt! A bit different, I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would've cost more than the car was worth, plus having to pay for the tow!

    ReplyDelete