Saturday 18 April 2009

A FOOT AHEAD

Well, I finally found myself clicking into the novel this evening and working on it! I’m at the stage of reorganising the first three chapters and have been cutting, pasting and moving sections and paragraphs around. By golly I think I’ve got it – so I’ll be able to move on, cut/pad and write to the end.

Those three chapters were all over the place; now I’m a happy writer, I think. No, I know I’m happy, that I’m glad to see the words settle into their right place. I can’t wait to see the stuff I wrote for Nano in November; I’ve never even read through it because Nano means you push towards the end and don’t go back to edit.

I’ve been saying to myself that this novel is going to be finished this year. Is it? Maybe it’s time I wrote out the plan and pinned it on the walls; because there actually is a plan but it’s still inside my head. In the end I had to put on my spring-cleaning head and ask each chapter, what are you doing? So now I’m beginning with an event that happened near the end of the third; it places everyone so must be the start, mustn’t it?

There are about 40,000 words written, just waiting for me to tug them into shape then take them for a long walk, a walk that stretches right through the summer in my characters’ lives and leads to the sound of my printer zizzing and chuffing the lovely paper out. I’ve never printed any of the novels – that’s part of the end.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds so exciting and must be so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep at it babe! There is nothing better when you have finished it! the feeling is fabulous and just as your about to bask in the brilliance, you find a new one to do and you go through the drama all over again!

    ReplyDelete